The American Women's Hospitals (AWH) developed from the War Service Committee of the Medical Women's National Association (later, American Medical Women's Association (AMWA)) in 1917 to provide, register and finance American women physicians for war work; offer medical and emergency relief to refugees; and, later, to provide international public health service. The AWH photographs were frequently used in fundraising and publicity campaigns. This group of photographs depicts doctors serving in AWH from 1919 into the 1920s. Most of the photographs are official portraits. These American women physicians were stationed all over Europe and Asia, mostly in the near east (uncommon term in modern language but refers to the part of Asia west of India and overlaping with the Middle East).