The American Women's Hospitals (AWH) developed from the War Service Committee of the Medical Women's National Association (later, American Medical Women's Association (AMWA)) in 1917 to provide, register and finance American women physicians for war work; offer medical and emergency relief to refugees; and, later, to provide international public health service. The AWH photographs were frequently used in fundraising and publicity campaigns. This group of photographs depicts AWH medical personnel and lay workers, including nurses, administrative staff, and chauffeurs. Many of the photographs show AWH personnel in the various fields of operation, such as France, Turkey, Greece, Serbia, and Albania. The photographs are mostly portraits, while others are photographs of staff working.