The American Women's Hospitals (AWH) developed from the War Service Committee of the Medical Women's National Association (later, American Medical Women's Association (AMWA)) in 1917 to provide, register and finance American women physicians for war work; offer medical and emergency relief to refugees; and, later, to provide international public health service. The AWH photographs were frequently used in fundraising and publicity campaigns. This group of photographs depicts Dr. Ester Pohl Lovejoy, and, while undated, appear to range across her career. Dr. Lovejoy was the president of the AWH from 1919 until her death in 1967, and the AWH was greatly expanded under her leadership. Dr. Lovejoy was also the president of the Medical Women's National Association (MWNA) from 1932-1933, and helped found the Medical Women's International Association in 1919.